Thursday, August 17, 2017

Fake glasses

Listen, I get that glasses are very cute. I would wear my adorable Ray Ban frames out in public, but I don't because my vision is so bad the lenses act as opposite magnifying glasses, shrinking my hazel eyes to little black beads and emphasizing the indent at my temples which contributes to a face shape my boyfriend has ever-so-lovingly compared to a peanut. Have you ever found an article detailing which style of bangs would flatter a peanut shaped face? Neither have I (and believe me, I've looked very hard).

If you're one of the lucky ones that have been blessed with near-perfect eyesight, I can't fathom why you would unnecessarily and willingly add an extra barrier between your eyes and the rest of the world, easily fogged up by fortuitous fingerprints, raindrops, or the steam from a pot of pasta. You are taking for granted the privilege of waking up and being able to start living without the delay of scrambling to find your glasses (which are somehow always missing). You are taking for granted being able to open your eyes underwater in vast oceans and impossibly turquoise swimming pools without your contacts floating right off of your corneas, never to be found again.

Let us blind folk reap the benefits (and hindrances) of glasses as an accessory and stick to your blissful, unencumbered perception. Or, you know, keep using them as a fashion statement and pissing the rest of us off.

No comments:

Post a Comment